Overcome Your Fear of Flying with Hypnotherapy
Overcome Your Fear of Flying with Hypnotherapy
Posted on April 29th 2019 by Letara Buckley
You might be reading this because you or someone you know has a fear of flying, and maybe you would love to go away, right? You may have questions such as what causes a fear of flying? How common is the fear of flying? Or perhaps, can hypnosis help with a fear of flying? This article will look at the common causes, the treatments available, and how hypnotherapy may be the best option to overcome the fear of flying.
Symptoms of a Phobia
Also known as ‘aerophobia’ or ‘aviophobia’, having a fear of flying can cause the following physical symptoms:
The Hypnotherapy Directory states: ‘It’s important to note that not everyone who suffers from a fear of flying will experience the same amount of distress. Fear of flying can range from mild anxiety before flying, to a state of terror which can prevent a person from getting on the plane or even leaving it once they have boarded. And it’s not just whilst on a plane that anxiety can set in. If you are afraid of flying, anything from booking a holiday, arriving at an airport or even thinking about getting on a plane can trigger feelings of anxiety.’
What Causes the Fear of Flying?
We are all born with only two fears: the fear of falling and the fear of loud noises. As children, all other fears and phobias are learned by mimicking people around us or perhaps stemming from some kind of trauma.
Hypnotherapist Marisa Peer says: “It’s so simple, but everything you’ve ever felt about anything, past, present or future in your life is down to two things: the pictures you make in your head and the words you say to yourself. What most people don’t realize is that you are free to choose better words and pictures, whether you’re thinking about boarding a plane, giving a presentation at work, or how you look in the mirror. But to do so, you first have to understand you already have the power to create those words and pictures—you’re doing it without even realizing it.”
When it comes to a fear of flying, having parents who have been scared of flying or experiencing bad turbulence, can cause a phobia to develop. Marisa says: “Whenever I’m about to board a plane, I always look around me to see if there are any babies in the departure lounge.
If there are, I love observing the way they obliviously get carried onto an airplane with little to no understanding that they are about to be catapulted thousands of feet into the air in an aluminum tube. Like almost all infants, they are that beautiful blend of both helpless and carefree. They have such blind trust in their parents or carers and thus, have no reason to think that they might be led into something they should fear.”
How to Stop the Fear of Flying
Verywell Mind lists some of the common treatments or ‘cures’ for fear of flying:
- ‘Group classes: If you do not suffer from other physical or psychological disorders, you may be a good candidate for a fear of flying course. These classes typically last two or three days, often over a weekend, and use techniques of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) to treat a large group simultaneously. They are available in many major cities.
- Individual therapy: Individual Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, hypnotherapy, and virtual reality techniques can also improve your fear of flying.
- Education: Learning about how airplanes work, why turbulence happens, and what various sounds and bumps mean can also help.
- Exposure: Experts agree that one of the best ways to overcome the fear of flying is controlled exposure, whether that's through virtual reality, a flight simulation, or actually flying.
- Anxiety management techniques: Learning how to breathe deeply, recognize panicked and irrational thoughts and correct them, and finding other ways to cope such as listening to music, taking an anti-anxiety medication, or reading magazines, can all help manage aerophobia.’
Hypnotherapy for Fear of Flying
You may be thinking can hypnotherapy cure my fear of flying? Perhaps you would like to experience hypnotherapy in the comfort of your own home. Marisa’s hypnosis download ‘Overcome Your Fear of Flying’ has helped many clients to change the root cause of their fears and fly with ease. It allows you to feel confident, relaxed and self-assured while traveling on an airplane. You can
feel completely calm, happy and at ease throughout check-in, boarding, departure, and landing. What’s more, you can replay it as many times as you wish, whenever and wherever you need.
Marisa worked with Evening Standard journalist, Kara Dolman, to overcome her fear of flying―you can read the success story here.
Hypnotherapy is a powerful tool in overcoming not only the fear of flying, but many other issues such as addictions, depression, and anxiety, or the development of personal traits such as confidence and great interview skills. Visit Marisa’s hypnosis audio shop to discover all of her available downloads.